Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I was trying to decide upon what subject I should blog tonight; I asked my wife on g-mail chat tonight what topic I should choose, and she suggested, tentatively, "food?" But, I protested, I've already written on fries, not just once, but twice!

However, as she often does, my wife got me thinking... food... hmmm... Well, this quarter, I'm taking a distance-learning class, Introduction to Islam, through my grad school, Fuller Theological Seminary. It seemed to be about time; considering the amount of time I've spent traveling through Muslim countries, I still can't tell the difference between my Saalam and my Salman, my Shiite and Shi'a.

I listened to the first lecture last night, and part of the lesson included an explanation about how significant food, and in particular the sharing of food, was in this culture, and how an act as small as sharing tea signifies that you are most welcome, you are accepted, you are one of us. In the West, sharing food and drink is a much more casual event, but in the Middle East this means that you're as good as family. Remembering now all of the times I've been invited to sit down to tea, to hard-boiled eggs, to lavish meals of lamb and rice, by all manner of people in this part of the world, I'm beginning to realize how grateful I really should have been for their hospitality, and how serious my obligations to them are. Even today, sitting in the project's office, plied with coffee, soda, pastries, each offering a message of peace and welcome, symbols of how tied we are to each other.

And yes, I had french fries for dinner again. What - they're good!

No comments:

Post a Comment