Monday, August 17, 2009

SHOWERS AS A POLITICAL ACT

Before you start calling me compulsive, a) I already know, and b) don't judge me. But I prefer to take showers two, sometimes three, and rarely but on some occasions four times a day. Having short hair definitely helps, and I don't mind cold water, so each individual shower takes only 3 minutes or so.

I've discovered that the Israelis have cut off the Palestinians' water supplies (they control all of it in this desert), so the roofs of Palestinian homes and buildings are studded with water towers, a bunch of them, squat, black, plastic structures littering the roofs the way satellite t.v. dishes do homes in the States.

That means that every shower I take eats in to the Palestinians' water supplies - but I can't just stop bathing! So, following the example of Rick Steves' book, Travel as a Political Act, I've decided now to shower as a political act - I've made my already brief showers even shorter, going full Navy style, turning off the water any time I'm not rinsing.

Every little bit, right? By bathing I can stick it to the man!

That sounds gross....

No comments:

Post a Comment